Celebrate Spring at Wayside Furniture’s Bocce Ball Tournament
Saturday June 23, 2018 (Rain date TBD)
2-person team/single elimination
$500 Wayside Gift certificate awarded to Team that wins.
Complimentary Italian refreshments for all contestants (and their fans)
- Game is played between two teams of two.
- Each team plays with four bocce balls that are differentiated by color. The goal of the game is to
get your team’s bocce balls closer to the pallino, the smaller target ball, than the other team’s
- Each frame is played from one side of the court and begins with the pallino being thrown into
the field of play.
- Every throw (including the pallino) must meet the following criteria to remain on the court:
- Player’s feet must be behind the back wall, extended. Player can move outside the sidewalls to
get their desired angle but cannot break the plane of the back wall.
- Ball must be thrown underhand and reach the half court line.
- Ball cannot touch the back wall unless it makes contact with a ball in play first.
- The team closest to the pallino is “in” and the other team is “out.” The team that is “out”
throws until they are “in” or out of bocce balls. Both teams must throw all of their bocce balls
to complete a frame.
- To become the team that is “in” you must throw a ball closer to the pallino, so being the same
distance away doesn’t cut it.
- There are no rules against your ball striking any of the balls in play or the side walls.
- Points are scored after all balls have been thrown. The team with the ball closest to the pallino
is the only team scoring in that frame. Scoring team receives one point for each of their balls
closer to the pallino than the other team’s closest ball.
- If two balls are equidistant from the pallino at the end of the frame, then the next closest ball
breaks the tie.
- The team that scores controls the pallino to begin the next frame. They get to throw the pallino
and then first bocce ball.
- Each team member must throw two balls per frame, but they can do so in any order.
- If the pallino goes out of bounds, that frame ends. Play then resumes from the opposite end of
the court with the team that originally tossed the pallino tossing it again.
- Measurements for all “points” are taken from the front edge of the Bocce being measured to
the front edge of the pallino. Only an official and one representative from each team may be
present for the measurement.
- Only the official touches the balls until the round is scored.
- We play our games with a time limit of 10 minutes. If game is called due to time, the leading
team gets the win. If game is tied at 10 minutes, then one additional frame will be played to
- Two points are awarded for a ball touching the pallino. This is known as a “BOCCE.”
- Scoring four points in a frame is known as a “CASINO” and is cause for both
celebration by one team and shame for the other.
The Bocce Ball Tournament will be held at:
Wayside Furniture’s outdoor patio furniture site
1367 Canton Rd
Akron Oh 44312
Saturday June 23, 2018 11am (rain date TBD)
The tournament will be single elimination. Tournament will start at 11:00 am.
Please arrive 20-30 minutes early to sign in.
The winning two-person team is awarded a $500 Wayside Furniture Gift certificate
($250 per team member)
Participants must pre-register by completing this registration form. Participation is limited.